Sunday, August 3, 2008

Catching Up

Wow. Except for a few quick posts during last week, I've been remiss about writing lately-mainly because the events I'm about to write about have kept me too busy on the weekends to actually write about them! :)
So, without further ado, it's time to get caught up...

Sunday, July 20-Kristina's First Roast
Simon and I decided to head over to the Imperial War Museum; neither of us had been there before, and it was just one of those random things we decided to do. The War Museum is really impressive. I can imagine that if you were a war buff, you'd want to spend days there going through all the exhibits-the info and displays really are fascinating. But, embarrassingly neither Simon nor I are completely up on WWI and WWII, so we were through in just a few hours: without being into that stuff, there's only so many old canteens, uniforms, and guns you can look at. Plus, we wanted to go to the Holocaust Exhibit upstairs, and the day was getting away from us. The Holocaust Exhibit, like the others I've seen before, left me with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, and a general feeling that took the rest of the day to shake. It's just too stunning to put into words.

After leaving the musuem, we decided to stop at a pub around the corner for Sunday Roast-a very popular thing here where a pub will go out of their way to produce a meal on Sunday that would be the equivalent of what your Mom would make for you on a Sunday: meat, a few veg, and Yorkshire Pudding. My first Yorkshire Pudding (and my first Sunday Roast all around). All I can say is, yum. It's the pizza-slice-shaped thingy on the bottom left of the plate:






After this, we went our seperate ways to go run errands for the day.

Saturday, July 26-Kristina Meets the Best Friend
Finally, after a few cancelled trips due to various reasons, Simon and I finally head out of town to Chingford to meet Simon's best friend, Herbie and his wife Shalma. We head up around noon on Saturday (after a delicious breakfast at Roast in Borough Market. The porridge was amazing!). Herbie and Simon met in undergrad and have been fast friends ever since. I can certainly understand why-he's an absolute hoot, but completely different from Simon; they compliment each other's personalities.


We arrive in time for lunch, and eat out in the back garden. The weather is perfect, and it's nice and warm, and the food, conversation, beer, and general fun are just the best way to spend the day! By 6p, we realize we aren't going anywhere anytime soon, so we make plans to run into town to pick up a few things for dinner, and before you know it, it's 11p at night, and Simon and I are having to head back into town to catch the train in so we can get back to London before the Tube closes. It really was a great Saturday. Here's Herbie and Shalma. This pic was taken at the wedding we went to this weekend (more on that in the next post):







Aren't they just cute?!? And, Shalma wanted me to point out that they have nice, straight, white teeth! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment