Anyhoo, political statements aside, I've been pondering what I want to do with myself in 2009, and decided that this year, am going to publicize some of my resolutions, as they do specifically relate to the theme of my blog. So, here goes..
1. Get a hobby. I work too much. Specifically, when factoring in my commute I'm 'at work' daily from 7.30am to almost 7.30pm. That's too much time, and my typical weeks consist of work/home/work/home...No good. I need to find a hobby/class/interest that gets me out of the office at a respectable time, and off to something other than my flat to watch television. Softball will definitely kick in at some point when it warms up in May, but in the interim, I'm thinking about a cooking class, continuing my Thai lessons, finding a yoga studio, getting a personal trainer...something. Any suggestions? And, it certainly doesn't have to involve spending money!
2. Run a 10k. (At least one). I've been roped into a 10k with Simon and his BFF, Herbie in April. Mind you, Herbie ran a half marathon in October, and Simon's fast walking pace is my *running* pace. But, oh well... :) Someone has to be the slow one!
3. Travel. Like this one is a surprise. Given the £ to € conversion lately, it's safe to say that unless it's a super-cheap location, Western Europe will likely be off limits this year. So, instead, it will be the Year Of Eastern Europe....Poland, Croatia, Turkey, Hungary, Greece, Morocco, Portugal (though, technically not Eastern Europe, the last two are both pretty cheap...). And, I'd like to explore more of England. There are dozens of places that I can 'pop' out to for a day trip on the train for under £20. I should take advantage of this.
4. Volunteer locally. It's time to get off my duff, and find something good to do while I'm here. Ideally with Habitat for Humanity, but it doesn't *have* to be. I'm open to organization/cause suggestions if anyone has any.
5. Try more 'British' things...I'm living here for a reason (aside from The Job), and I need to take better advantage of this. Be it jellied eels (though that may be taking it a bit too far...), becoming a mushy peas connoisseur, or maybe it will be to finally try a tin of the icky looking 'Tuna Mayonnaise' that I poked fun at back in March, I vow to try things in 2009 that I wouldn't have dared try in 2008!
Well, that's about it-or at least, those are the one's I'm willing to make public. :) There are more, but those will just have to remain a secret for now.
Happy 2009 all. I hope it's a great year for everyone!