Friday, June 27, 2008

Work Culture

Just when I think I'm beginning to get a grip on the differences between British and American work culture, I'm thrown a curve ball.

I'm on the social committee here (isn't that just cute?...), and am helping to organize our Holiday Party. Up until now, the only dates/days we've discussed have been Fridays. Which, strikes me as odd-I've only ever attended a company holiday party (mine or anyone else's) on a Saturday. So, I posed the question to the group, 'how about a Saturday?' You would think would have asked the group to set their hair on fire. Apparently, even if it's a party, it's considered 'work', and the thought of work interfering with the weekend is very, very bad.

Which, in theory, I kinda like. But, in the case of a swanky, dress up party-even further out of London than our office, it just strikes me as impractical. So, our holiday party will be on a Friday. To make the party-and in proper attire, I'll probably have to leave the office by 4p. Get home, get ready, get back on the train (in full dressy mode-and at the cost of *another* £10. grr), and trek back out to the party. Am I the only person who thinks this is a lot of freaking effort? No wonder the parties are apparently very poorly attended.

No comments:

Post a Comment