Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Favorite Place in London

Welcome to Borough Market. The 'Pike Place' of London. This is my favorite place in London (Tate Modern runs a close second..).
It's become quite the Saturday ritual for me to get up and head to Borough Market to buy yummy, fresh produce, meat, cheese, have a cup of coffee and a croissant, and just in general, wind down and enjoy 'just looking.' I like this place so much, that last weekend, when parts of the Tube were shut down for weekend work, I actually went completely out of my way and took almost an hour to get there. That's how much I love this place.
Borough is only open Thursday-Saturday-go figure-and with work out in Sluff, Saturday is really the only day I can get there. Fine. It's a great Saturday ritual I hope to continue for a long, long time.
So, today I took my camera (I felt like such a tourist!), and took a few shots of my favorite things at Borough. Hope you enjoy.

Monmouth Coffee-best drip (and cappuccino) I've ever tasted. Here. Seattle. Anywhere. Darned good stuff. They grind the beans and individually pour a filter for each order. Can't beat that level of freshness! You can see the white filter lined up in the bottom left, and the dude in the striped shirt is pouring water into them that will drip down into cups under the filters.








Tower of brownies at Flour Power Bread Co. The picture says it all. :) This is the place I buy my crossiant or Pan au Chocolat from.



Neal's Yard Dairy-probably my favorite place inside my favorite place. Neal's Yard was actually started by an American-they even
export cheese to the US-and it can be found at Beecher's at Pike Place. Free samples galore, their staff are super knowledgeable, and the cheese? Well, let's just say, I've probably already consumed more of their cheese in the past four months, than I did of Beecher's in the past two years!


Today, I got a little gung ho. Usually, I'll purchase enough veg, fruit and cheese to get me through the week (or as a treat), but today, I added pork to the mix-bacon and chops. If there's one thing the Brits do better than perhaps any other country, it's pork. So, I figured, I couldn't go wrong. I may have spent 15 pounds more than I normally do, but it's a small price to pay. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment