Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud to be an American Again

What a night/morning!

I finally got home and to bed at 3a today-basically staying out at the US Expat gathering long enough to feel like Obama was going to win Florida-and thus the election. Last night/this morning was so much fun-it's the first time in a long time that I've felt a sense of pride when recognizing to a large group of people that I'm an American. Sad, I know, but I've made it a point for many years now (say...8...) to try and keep my US Citizenship under wraps (re: one of my first posts on my new passport cover) when I'm out and about.

But, this morning as I was heading in on the train, I didn't feel the need to cover up my interest in the stories about the election that I was reading in the paper and on my Blackberry. Heck, if I had a Stars and Stripes shirt, I would have probably been inclined to wear it today! :)

I hope today really is the start of things turning around for the US-both within the country and how we're perceived abroad. As I was walking to work this morning, I couldn't help but think that for the first time in a very long while, I actually felt a sense of hope for where the US could be headed-and got a little teary eyed. And, Obama's book title, The Audacity of Hope, suddenly seemed incredibly appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment